The Community Planning Department is responsible for issuing development and building permits within its area of jurisdiction. On average, the Department issues 1,800 permits per year. For primary buildings that must comply with the National Building Code, the Department is also responsible for carrying out inspections at various key stages of the construction process.

Building permit

A building permit is required for work involving the construction of a new structure, as well as the demolition, relocation, modification or replacement of existing buildings or structures. Changes involving land or building use may also require a development permit. It is important to have a permit to avoid problems with neighbours, including damaging the local environment, natural landscapes or built environment.

Please note that some work does not require a permit. The rule of thumb is that a permit is not required if no modifications are made to the structure or if there is no change of use.

Examples of situations that DO NOT require a permit:

  • Installation or replacement of exterior siding.
  • Replacement of windows with the same dimensions.
  • Replacement of roofing materials.
  • Painting.

Why is a building permit required?

Building permits are designed to facilitate the enforcement of provincial and municipal community planning regulations and to ensure compliance with the National Building Code, not to mention the most important thing: ensuring your safety. Issuing building permits enables us to provide better oversight over land use and to create a better living environment for Acadian Peninsula residents.
The construction of a building or a change of use may have adverse affects on:

  • Neighbours.
  • Neighbourhood/local environment.
  • Natural landscapes or built environments.

For that reason, the right to use land is limited by the Community Planning Act.

How can I obtain a permit?

You may contact us to discuss the steps to be taken or schedule an appointment with one of our employees.

The fees charged for permits are used to cover related services, such as verifying project compliance with provincial/municipal regulations and national standards. As required, inspection costs are also covered by the permit fee.

*It is important to note that all fees charged by the Community Planning Department when issuing permits are fully reinvested in the community in which the permit is issued.*

What information am I required to provide?

The information needed to verify compliance differs from place to place and from project to project. For example, building a garden shed in a local service district will not require as much documentation as it would to construct a business establishment in a municipality.

Here is a non-exhaustive list of documents that the Community Planning Department may ask you to provide:
  1. Identification number, address, location of the property.
  2. Act (deed) of transfer, owner’s letter of authorization, property tax bill.
  3. Detailed building plans, foundation plan (technologist).
  4. Work estimate.
  5. Location sketch indicating the dimensions of existing/proposed buildings and separating distances (front, back, sides, natural elements, access, easements, etc.).
  6. (Towns and villages) Foundation plan if 592 ft.2 (55 m2) or larger.
  7. (Towns and villages) Information on the primary building (dimensions, use, height).
  8. Approval of government departments and/or other organizations.
  9. Environment (watercourse alteration permit).
  10. Transportation (setback certificate).
  11. Public health (utility connection permit).
  12. Agriculture.
  13. Fire marshal.
  14. Public safety.