Subdivision involves dividing a parcel of land into two or more lots or parcels. It may also include the creation of public streets, future streets or private accesses.

When subdividing, please complete the following steps
  1. Before you contact a surveyor, you should contact a development officer in the Development Department for information on the applicable procedures and regulations.
  2. Contact your surveyor to prepare your draft plan, which will then be submitted to the development officer.
  3. The development officer will review your draft plan and will then submit it to various government departments or agencies (e.g. Department of Health, Department of Transportation, Energy NB) for recommendation purposes.
  4. If your draft plan requires an exemption (e.g. the surface area, width or depth of the land is insufficient) or includes a new street, it must be submitted to the planning review committee for recommendation or approval purposes. Please note that exemption applications must be submitted no later than the last day of the current month in order to be considered during the following month.
  5. If any public streets, future streets or private accesses are created, the plan must be approved by the municipality or the Department of Transportation (for non-municipal regions).
  6. If the draft plan is approved, the final plan can be drawn up. As applicable, street construction and utility installation must be completed prior to receiving the development officer’s approval.
  7. The final plan can now be submitted to the records office within a period of six months from the date of approval by the development officer. Subsequently, the acts (deeds) of transfer for each lot sold can be drawn up.
General rule for minimum lot sizes

If there is no public sewer service, the following standards must be complied with:

  1. The minimum area is 1 acre (43,560 sq. ft.)
  2. The minimum width is 54 m (177 ft.)
  3. The minimum depth is 38 m (125 ft.)

If public sewer service is already available, the minimum standards may vary from municipality to municipality. In that case, you are advised to contact us for further information.

To fill out a subdivision approval application, please refer to the Permit Applications section.